Keeping their baby safe and healthy is the number priority for many parents. With this in mind, it is essential to protect your baby from things like bacteria to prevent them from getting sick. This article will go over some common illnesses that your baby can catch along with tips to help treat and prevent illness in your baby.
The Common Cold
- The common cold is the illness that your baby will likely catch at some point during their first few months. There is no cure for the common cold, but there are ways you can help soothe your baby's symptoms. Keeping your baby in a cool environment and constantly monitoring their temperature is a must if your baby catches a cold.
- Your baby can also get the flu. Generally, the flu is more severe than the common cold. Like the common cold, there is no cure for the flu. Most cases of the flu can be managed at home. However, if you notice that your baby isn’t getting better, contact your doctor immediately.
- Pink eye, or conjunctivitis, is caused by bacteria or a virus that gets into your eye. The symptoms of pink eye include irritation, sensitivity, and discharge from the infected eye. Children can be exposed to it since they touch dirty surfaces so often. However, most cases of pink eye are not that serious.
- Another common illness your baby can get is an ear infection. Ear infections occur when fluid builds up causing your eardrum to be inflamed. Ear infections usually occur before viral infections (Scripps). Infants are more likely to suffer from an ear infection because it is more difficult for them to drain fluid from their ears. If your infant has an ear infection, it is best to see a doctor to get adequate treatment.
Tips For Healthy Living
Wash Your Hands
- When your baby is in their first few months of life, it is important to limit the number of visitors that your baby sees to protect their immune system. Your baby’s immune system is still developing it is important that you do not expose your baby to anything that might jeopardize their life.
- It should go without saying, but frequent hand washing is a must before and after you interact with your baby.
- Using a humidifier can help prevent illness and treat any illness that your baby catches. How can a humidifier prevent diseases from spreading? Humidifiers actually make it more difficult for pathogens to travel through the air because of the water molecules that are released into the air. We recommend the Miro MH7000. The Miro MH7000 is an ultrasonic humidifier that is built with UV capabilities to ensure that bacteria is not released into the air. This is the humidifier for your infant.
Meet With Your Doctor
- Your baby will be touching a lot of surfaces during their first few months of life. It is important to clean your house often. You do not want your baby to catch something like pink eye because they touched a dirty surface. However, remember to limit the use of any harsh chemicals around your baby.
- You should meet with your doctor regularly to ensure that your baby is developing properly.