The cycle seems all too familiar– you decide to buy chapstick because your lips are dry, but no matter how many times you use your chapstick, your lips never seem to get better. Especially during the winter, you might find that your lips become drier at an increased frequency. Generally speaking, the air in the winter months is drier than in other seasons. It is important to take precautions during this winter season to be as healthy as possible. This article will go over some helpful tips to prevent dehydrated lips. With these tools, you will be better prepared to prevent any more chapped lips.
What Are The Causes of Chapped Lips?
There can be multiple causes for chapped lips. To properly treat your chapped lips, you need to know the exact cause. These are some of the common causes of chapped lips:
- The most common cause of chapped lips is dry air. Dry air can cause your lips to become dry leading to cracked and chapped lips. The reason for this is the dry air takes away the moisture present on your lips making them dry. This is why people are more likely to suffer from chapped lips during winter when air conditions are generally drier.
Check With Your Doctor
- Spend a lot of time in the sun? This can be a potential cause for your chapped lips. Your lips are extremely sensitive so with prolonged exposure to the sun, you increase your chances of getting skin damage. Sunburns can be particularly concerning if your family has a history of skin cancer. If your family is prone to cancer, it is best to limit intense sun exposure as much as possible.
- Certain medications can also trigger side effects which include chapped lips. For example, many acne treatments can cause dry or chapped lips. You must consult with your doctor if you cannot find the cause of your chapped lips.
Fortunately, there are many things that you can do to treat your chapped lips. Here are just a few:
- When your lips are chapped, it is essential that you drink plenty of fluids to keep your body properly hydrated. You should avoid any dehydrating drinks like alcohol.
- Do not forget to apply sunscreen to your lips. Sunburns are one of the leading causes of chapped lips so it is important to do your best to prevent any damage to your lips from the sun. I recommend looking at chapstick containing SPF protection to protect your lips.
- With a humidifier, you can hydrate your lips without having to do anything! The mist created by a humidifier humidifies the air in your environment allowing your skin to properly breathe. When the air is dry, the air sucks the moisture from your skin. The Miro NR08M is the humidifier I recommend. This model is super easy to use and comes with controls that let you control the mist output to the perfect amount. If you are looking for the best humidifier on the market, the Miro NR08M is for you.