Vinegar is an amazing cleaning product, you can clean nearly any surface of your home with vinegar. Vinegar is the ideal choice for people who are cleaning their humidifiers. Unlike bleach, vinegar is less harsh but still has the ability to clean and descale surfaces.
How to Clean Your Humidifier With Vinegar
Humidifiers require cleaning and descaling at least 2-3 times a week. Cleaning your humidifier with vinegar will also descale the surfaces of your humidifier. It is a simple process that will help your humidifier run smoothly and prolong its life.
Some brands of humidifiers will give specific instructions for cleaning, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s website or instruction booklet that came with your humidifier before attempting to use vinegar to clean it.
What you will need
- White vinegar
- A toothbrush or other soft bristle brush
- Unplug your humidifier
- Empty out the water reservoir of your humidifier.
- Fill the reservoir with vinegar and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly with water to get all the vinegar out.
- For warm mist humidifiers, take a soft cloth or toothbrush and clean the heating element.
- Plug in your humidifier and use it as you normally do.
To minimize limescale buildup, fill your humidifier with distilled or purified water. Be sure that when you store your humidifier you empty it completely and clean it thoroughly before putting it away and clean it before using it again.